If you’ve been using the Portion Fix containers, then you know how helpful they can be in learning portion control and what a healthy portion size looks like. And we thought you might be looking for a few Portion Fix container ideas!
If you’re not familiar with Portion Fix, it features seven color-coded containers that take the guessing out of healthy eating. No more calorie counting. No more weighing your food. If it’s on the food list and fits in the container you can eat it! The Portion Fix containers are used in many Beachbody programs include 21 Day Fix and CORE DE FORCE. And you’ll find that by using them every day, you’ll learn what one serving of veggies, fruits, and protein looks like. And, after you use them for long enough, when you go out to eat or you’re dining at a friend or family member’s house, you’ll be able to create a healthy portion without even thinking about it!
When you first start using the containers, you might find it easiest to fill each with one ingredient. Boneless, skinless chicken breast in red, broccoli in green, sweet potatoes or brown rice in yellow. And, while those choices are healthy, it’s easy to fall into a rut of eating the same thing every day.
Unfortunately, eating the same thing every day isn’t great from a nutritional important to eat a varied diet (more on that here), it also gets pretty boring!
So, here are some Portion Fix container ideas from Autumn Calabrese, Beachbody Super Trainer and creator of the 21 Day Fix, to help you have a little more fun with healthy eating. If you want even more inspiration, check out FIXATE on Beachbody On Demand. On it, Autumn and her brother, chef Bobby Calabrese, show you how to make simple, healthy, 21 Day Fix-friendly recipes.
Autumn Calabrese’s Portion Fix Container Ideas
One easy way to add more flavor to your meals without adding calories is by adding spices, herbs, or citrus zest to your meals. It sounds simple, but these little additions can make a big impact and they don’t add to your container count.
The green Portion Fix container is for vegetables.
- Add lemon zest and balsamic vinegar to steamed vegetables to enrich the flavor.
- Steam your favorite vegetables – Autumn uses squash, carrots, cauliflower, and asparagus in the video below and then add herbs like sage and rosemary. Dried is OK, but fresh has more flavor.
The red Portion Fix container is for proteins such as chicken breast, yogurt, fish, tofu, and eggs.
- Chop two hard-boiled eggs and add Dijon mustard and dill to create an egg salad! Enjoy it on its own (1 red), on top of a bed of mixed greens (+1 green), or on top of a slice of whole grain bread (+1 yellow). Here’s how to boil hard boiled eggs so you don’t get chalky yolks or rubbery whites.
The purple Portion Fix container is for fruits, but you can also use your purple for dessert!
- Chop up strawberries, drizzle balsamic on top, add a bit of lemon zest, and you’ll have a sweet, tart, healthy treat.
- Or, mix 1 blue container of walnuts with one chopped green apple and top with cinnamon for a snack that tastes like apple pie.
The yellow Portion Fix container is for grains, legumes, and other carbs. This is where you’ll be able to add sweet potatoes, oats, rice, beans, and pasta. Oh, and waffles.
- Cook brown rice, add ancho chile powder or cumin, and shake to give those complex carbs Southwestern flair.
- Mix rice vinegar into red quinoa to make it taste reminiscent of sushi rice then enjoy on its own as a side or mix it into your salad.
The blue Portion Fix container is for healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, and hummus.
- Mash ¼ of an avocado and mix it with chopped jalapeno, diced tomatoes, a dash of cumin, a squeeze of lime, and cilantro (if you’re a fan of the herb) to make guacamole. Enjoy with sliced veggies like cucumber and bell pepper strips (+1 green) or these baked corn tortilla chips (+1 yellow).
- Heat a skillet on the stove, and when warm, add nuts, and a pinch of cayenne and paprika. Cook for two minutes over medium heat, stirring continually. Let cool, then store in an airtight container and enjoy per the serving recommendations in your program or Portion Fix guide.
The orange Portion Fix container is for seeds and dressings.
- Heat a skillet on the stove, and when warm, add seeds, and a pinch of coffee grounds and cinnamon. Cook for two minutes over medium heat, stirring continually. Let cool, then store in an airtight container and enjoy per the serving recommendations in your program or Portion Fix guide.